scid 4.6.4 ported to OpenBSD 6

Francisco Gaitan
Hello.

I have made a port for scid 4.6.4 to work in OpenBSD. If you are interested in this feel free to contact me off-list.

Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.

Download: http://37.252.122.117/downloads/scid.tar.gz

Thank you for your work, I love this program.

Best regards,
   Francisco.

Re: scid 4.6.4 ported to OpenBSD 6

Fulvio
Francisco Gaitan wrote:
> Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.

Many thanks for the porting.
I'm surprised that there is no support for c++11; I did a quick search:
https://www.openbsd.org/60.html
and if gcc is version 4.9.3 it should work:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.3/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options

I just want to emphasize that removing the -std=c++11 disable
multi-threading and some functions may be slower.
Also, it can be removed automatically using the configure script with:
./configure THREADS=""
followed by the usual
make

Thanks again,
Fulvio

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:09:02PM +0200, Fulvio wrote:

> Francisco Gaitan wrote:
> > Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.
> >
> Many thanks for the porting.
> I'm surprised that there is no support for c++11; I did a quick search:
> https://www.openbsd.org/60.html
> and if gcc is version 4.9.3 it should work:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.3/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options
>
> I just want to emphasize that removing the -std=c++11 disable
> multi-threading and some functions may be slower.
> Also, it can be removed automatically using the configure script with:
> ./configure THREADS=""
> followed by the usual
> make
>
> Thanks again,
> Fulvio

Thank you for the information and the interest shown. In OpenBSD 6, GCC 4.9.3 is in section 'Ports and packages'. Base system uses GCC 4.2.1 + patches as indicated below in that page.

It would be very interesting to pledge() this program, this only requires a few lines of code. Unfortunately I don't have the required programming knowledge yet, but with a bit of luck maybe someone could pick the port and make a patch.

I share with you this presentation about this security feature: https://www.openbsd.org/papers/hackfest2015-pledge/mgp00001.html

Best regards,
   Francisco.