No News is Good News

Benoit St-Pierre
Hello,

I am glad to report that since I've updated to the latest SCID version, I have yet to experience one single crash.

Not. One. Single. Crash.

And I'm using SCID every day extensively to play Correspondence Chess. This means there's a very powerful engine running all the time. There's at least one database opened as tree most of the times. Sometimes I even open two or tree.

This was another reason for this note - I just discovered that we can open more than one database as a tree! In the previous SCID versions, I was almost never using this functionality. My comp would hang all the time.

That said, I haven't tested all the functionalities. I mainly use the Analysis Window, the Notation Window, the Tree Window, the Comment Editor, and the Gamelist Window.

Kudos to you, Fulvio!

Ben

PS: Sorry for the delay in the documentation. I'm involved in too many Correspondence championships these days. I'm using SCID almost full time. Correspondence Chess has changed quite a lot since the 90s! It should calm down during next autumn.

Re: No News is Good News

Chris Bannister
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:35:35AM -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:

> And I'm using SCID every day extensively to play Correspondence Chess. This
> means there's a very powerful engine running all the time. There's at least
> one database opened as tree most of the times. Sometimes I even open two or
> tree.

Are you allowed to use computers to play correspondence chess?

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty

Re: No News is Good News

Benoit St-Pierre
Are you allowed to use computers to play correspondence chess?

For ICCF competitions, yes:

There are websites that forbid it, e.g.:

Re: No News is Good News

Justin Mcclure
Strange - which document is it in?  I couldn't find it.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM Benoit St-Pierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you allowed to use computers to play correspondence chess?

For ICCF competitions, yes:

There are websites that forbid it, e.g.:

Re: No News is Good News

Benoit St-Pierre
Strange - which document is it in?  I couldn't find it.

Exactly. The only restriction is that you are the one who plays the moves. Tournaments that forbid the use of chess engines will state it. I've heard that some postal events are still under the old code of honor, which also forbade documentation.

It would interesting to see a match between a player A who only has a chess engine and a player B who only has opening and ending databases. While most of the theory is basically deprecated, it still has a fundamental heuristic value. When I say that theory is deprecated, I mean it. For instance, many lines from the Richter-Rauzer are simply not playable anymore, with more than 85% scoring chances for White.

So far, I've not experienced "only" playing against an engine. If you don't orient the engine's searches, you better be prepared to stay in front of your comp for a good while. Even then, the horizon effect (where a comp is confident about a line but fails to see that it loses the next half-move) is still felt.

Re: No News is Good News

Chris Bannister
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:58:51PM -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:
> > Strange - which document is it in?  I couldn't find it.
>
> Exactly. The only restriction

I think the poster is asking where this is documented, if I am understanding
it correctly.

> is that you are the one who plays the moves.
> Tournaments that forbid the use of chess engines will state it. I've heard
> that some postal events are still under the old code of honor, which also
> forbade documentation.

I was referring to a computer chess database, I wouldn't even consider
using a chess engine unless I wanted to cheat.

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty
and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power.
 -- Malcolm X

Re: No News is Good News

benbonben
> I think the poster is asking where this is documented, if I am understanding it correctly.

Rules work by restriction - unless there's a restriction, it's allowed. There is no restriction under the currect ICCF rules. Therefore, it's allowed.

The same applies to chess documentation.

> I was referring to a computer chess database, I wouldn't even consider using a chess engine unless I wanted to cheat.

Assuming that using a chess engine is cheating begs the question. Moreover, it carries an accusation that is unwarranted. Check these games from a recent World Championship with your chess engine and using any good chess database:

Unless you want to accuse the best Correspondence Chess players of cheating, you might need to revise your belief.

Re: No News is Good News

Nils R Grotnes

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Benoit St-Pierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the poster is asking where this is documented, if I am understanding it correctly.

Rules work by restriction - unless there's a restriction, it's allowed. There is no restriction under the currect ICCF rules. Therefore, it's allowed.

The same applies to chess documentation.

> I was referring to a computer chess database, I wouldn't even consider using a chess engine unless I wanted to cheat.

Assuming that using a chess engine is cheating begs the question. Moreover, it carries an accusation that is unwarranted. Check these games from a recent World Championship with your chess engine and using any good chess database:

Unless you want to accuse the best Correspondence Chess players of cheating, you might need to revise your belief.

Re: No News is Good News

Benoit St-Pierre
Thank you for these interesting interviews, Nils!

I've asked my Tournament Director for one qualifier of the current World Championship cycle and he confirmed my position: the ICCF only requires that the player is the one who plays the moves.

As long as it the player is the captain of his own ship, anything goes.

Re: No News is Good News

Chris Bannister
On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 01:07:09PM -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:
> Thank you for these interesting interviews, Nils!
>
> I've asked my Tournament Director for one qualifier of the current World
> Championship cycle and he confirmed my position: the ICCF only requires
> that the player is the one who plays the moves.

Meaning the player not the computer then.

> As long as it the player is the captain of his own ship, anything goes.

I don't follow.

Anyway, thanks for the links and insight.

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty
and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power.
 -- Malcolm X

Re: No News is Good News

Benoit St-Pierre
> Meaning the player not the computer then.

Meaning an AI company can't enter an army of bots to automate everything through and through.