Find Best Move

Kevin Taylor
Is there any way to use this post on chess.com as the basis for updating the documentation on the Find Best Move feature? This is a feature I've never really used because it is very confusing. Also, this chess.com post explains what the different numbers mean and how to manually mark a position as a tactic. Very, very helpful.

I'm happy to write up the documentation and submit it as a patch if someone can tell me how to do that or point me to a link that explains how to submit documentation patches.

Best regards,

--Kevin

Re: Find Best Move

Fulvio
Hi,
the first thing that i would like to mention is that in the last Scid version "Tactical training" is simpler (and faster, as usual).
For example to train with the "Auerswald Collection, 3500 tactics" cited in the post:
http://gorgonian.weebly.com/uploads/1/7/2/2/17221082/auerswald.pgn

It will suffice to import that pgn in a Scid database (File->New  and  Database->Import file(s)...)
Then launch the "Tactical training" (Play->Training->Tactics ) and select the newly created Scid database.

Going back on how to patch Scid's documentation.
The file to modify is tcl/help/help.tcl
It can be opened by any text editor and it's basically a collection of html parts.
The "Training: Tactics" documentation starts at line 5803.
The best way to send a patch is to use the sourceforge site:
https://sourceforge.net/p/scid/patches/

However, Scid's documentation is seriously obsolete and, imho, a partial update is not worth it.
Ben was working an a complete re-write using the online wiki:
https://sourceforge.net/p/scid/wiki/StartHere/

Bye,
Fulvio