Bases directory & Books directory

Stefano Galler
Hello,

I downloaded Scid 3.7.3 on my i-Mac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo which works with Leopard 10.5.7. At the beginning Scid worked, but when I started it for the second time, two messages appeared:

1) "Bases directory not found";
2) "Books directory not found".

Then I chose from "options menu" the item "Books directory…" and the following message appeared:

bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/books"
bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/books"
    while executing
"tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1"
    (procedure "setBooksDir" line 3)
    invoked from within
"setBooksDir"
    (menu invoke)

Then I chose from "options menu" the item "Bases directory…" and the following message appeared:

bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/bases"
bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/bases"
    while executing
"tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBasesDir -mustexist 1"
    (procedure "setTacticsBasesDir" line 3)
    invoked from within
"setTacticsBasesDir"
    (menu invoke)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Scid, but nothing has changed. If it can help you, the "Startup Window" says, among many other messages:

Warning: unknown option: "-psn_0_217141"

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Stefano

Re: Bases directory & Books directory

Israel Chauca Fuentes
Administrator
Hi,

I asume that you moved Scid after the first launch, try deleting the
Scid config file at "~/.scid".

Cheers!
Israel

On Jul 23, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Stefano Galler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded Scid 3.7.3 on my i-Mac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo which
> works with Leopard 10.5.7. At the beginning Scid worked, but when I
> started it for the second time, two messages appeared:
>
> 1) "Bases directory not found";
> 2) "Books directory not found".
>
> Then I chose from "options menu" the item "Books directory…" and the
> following message appeared:
>
> bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/books"
> bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/books"
>    while executing
> "tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1"
>    (procedure "setBooksDir" line 3)
>    invoked from within
> "setBooksDir"
>    (menu invoke)
>
> Then I chose from "options menu" the item "Bases directory…" and the
> following message appeared:
>
> bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/bases"
> bad directory "/Applications/Scid.app/Contents/Resources/bin/bases"
>    while executing
> "tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBasesDir -mustexist 1"
>    (procedure "setTacticsBasesDir" line 3)
>    invoked from within
> "setTacticsBasesDir"
>    (menu invoke)
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Scid, but nothing has changed.
> If it can help you, the "Startup Window" says, among many other
> messages:
>
> Warning: unknown option: "-psn_0_217141"
>

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Stefano

Re: Bases directory & Books directory

Pascal Georges

2009/7/23 Stefano Galler <[hidden email]>
[...]

Strange, maybe a MacOs Tcl/Tk issue. For example the following code works on Linux :
======================
package require Tk

set scidBooksDir "/what/ever/not/exist"
proc setBooksDir {} {
  global scidBooksDir
  set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1]
  if {$dir == ""} {
    return
  } else {
    set scidBooksDir $dir
  }
}

setBooksDir
puts "scidBooksDir $scidBooksDir"
==========================

That is, even if the directory does not exist, the initial dir is set to the working directory.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Scid, but nothing has changed.

You'd better remove your settings (maybe a .scid directory somewhere ?).

If it can help you, the "Startup Window" says, among many other messages:

Warning: unknown option: "-psn_0_217141"

Not strictly Scid related, I'm afraid. Strange option. Certainly a packaging problem on MacOs.

Pascal

Re: Bases directory & Books directory

Israel Chauca Fuentes
Administrator
Hi there!

On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Pascal Georges wrote:

> Strange, maybe a MacOs Tcl/Tk issue. For example the following code
> works on
> Linux :
> ======================
> package require Tk
>
> set scidBooksDir "/what/ever/not/exist"
> proc setBooksDir {} {
>  global scidBooksDir
>  set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1]
>  if {$dir == ""} {
>    return
>  } else {
>    set scidBooksDir $dir
>  }
> }
>
> setBooksDir
> puts "scidBooksDir $scidBooksDir"
> ==========================
>
> That is, even if the directory does not exist, the initial dir is
> set to the
> working directory.
That doesn't work on Aqua but it does on X11 on my Mac. Should an
existence test be added?

>> If it can help you, the "Startup Window" says, among many other
>> messages:
>>
>> *Warning: unknown option: "-psn_0_217141"*
>>

> Not strictly Scid related, I'm afraid. Strange option. Certainly a
> packaging
> problem on MacOs.

The attached patch takes care of that.

Cheers,
Israel

macarg.patch (563 bytes) Download Attachment

2009/7/24, Israel Chauca Fuentes <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there!
>
> On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Pascal Georges wrote:
>
>> Strange, maybe a MacOs Tcl/Tk issue. For example the following code
>> works on
>> Linux :
>> ======================
>> package require Tk
>>
>> set scidBooksDir "/what/ever/not/exist"
>> proc setBooksDir {} {
>>  global scidBooksDir
>>  set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1]
>>  if {$dir == ""} {
>>    return
>>  } else {
>>    set scidBooksDir $dir
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> setBooksDir
>> puts "scidBooksDir $scidBooksDir"
>> ==========================
>>
>> That is, even if the directory does not exist, the initial dir is
>> set to the
>> working directory.
>
> That doesn't work on Aqua but it does on X11 on my Mac. Should an
> existence test be added?

Maybe there two different versions of Tk, and an update is necessary
on Aqua ? I am reluctant to add tests to work around such cases.

>>> If it can help you, the "Startup Window" says, among many other
>>> messages:
>>>
>>> *Warning: unknown option: "-psn_0_217141"*
>>>

>> Not strictly Scid related, I'm afraid. Strange option. Certainly a
>> packaging
>> problem on MacOs.
>
> The attached patch takes care of that.

Ok, patched. But what is the use of -psn ? Why is it necessary on MacOs ?

Pascal

On Jul 24, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Pascal Georges wrote:

> 2009/7/24, Israel Chauca Fuentes <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Pascal Georges wrote:
>>
>>> Strange, maybe a MacOs Tcl/Tk issue. For example the following code
>>> works on
>>> Linux :
>>> ======================
>>> package require Tk
>>>
>>> set scidBooksDir "/what/ever/not/exist"
>>> proc setBooksDir {} {
>>> global scidBooksDir
>>> set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir $scidBooksDir -mustexist 1]
>>> if {$dir == ""} {
>>>   return
>>> } else {
>>>   set scidBooksDir $dir
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> setBooksDir
>>> puts "scidBooksDir $scidBooksDir"
>>> ==========================
>>>
>>> That is, even if the directory does not exist, the initial dir is
>>> set to the
>>> working directory.
>>
>> That doesn't work on Aqua but it does on X11 on my Mac. Should an
>> existence test be added?
>
> Maybe there two different versions of Tk, and an update is necessary
> on Aqua ? I am reluctant to add tests to work around such cases.

Tcl/Tk 8.6 aqua behaves as X11, it doesn't raise an error. I'll try to
use that version for my mac releases.

>>> Not strictly Scid related, I'm afraid. Strange option. Certainly a
>>> packaging
>>> problem on MacOs.
>>
>> The attached patch takes care of that.
>
> Ok, patched. But what is the use of -psn ? Why is it necessary on
> MacOs ?

I can't find any pointers to its usefulness, only that it's always
added in Aqua when started as a "regular" mac application.

Cheers,
Israel